Key Lime Pie with Coconut Whipped Cream
§ 1 (one) graham cracker pie shell (or make your own using graham crumbs, melted butter and sugar)
§ ½ (one-half cup) cup key lime juice (you’ll need a one pound bag of key limes to yield ½ cup juice)
§ 2 (two) tablespoons lemon juice or additional key lime juice
§ 1 (one), 300 mL can of sweetened, condensed milk
§ 4 (four) egg yolks
§ 1 (one) cup 35% whipping cream
§ icing sugar, to taste
§ ½ (one-half) teaspoon coconut extract
§ additional key limes to garnish pie
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake graham crust for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool (leave oven on).
2. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and condensed milk together in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Juice the limes and add to the egg yolk-milk mixture. Whisk to blend. Add the additional two tablespoons of lemon or lime juice (you can omit this if you don’t want the pie as tart).
4. Pour mixture into crust and bake in centre of oven for about 17-18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Put in fridge to chill for at least 5 hours.
5. Just before serving, whip the cream and add some icing sugar to taste. Add the coconut extract. Top pie with whipped cream and decorate with slices of key limes, if desired.