Monday, February 7, 2011

Healthy Breakfast Shake

Since the new year, I've been trying to start the day with a healthy breakfast. Truthfully, I'd love to start everyday with poundcake (like yesterday, but it was a Sunday so it doesn't count, right?) but this shake is far healthier and more filling. My husband finds it hard to eat a meal in the morning but he has no problem downing one of these protein-packed shakes. I started making shakes after reading Dr. Joey Shulman's "Healthy Sin Foods" book. The protein powder is filling and adding the ground flaxseed is a great way to boost your intake of omega-3 fats. Great for digestion, too. You can buy the flaxseeds whole (and grind them yourself in a coffee maker) but I prefer to buy pre-ground flaxseed which I keep in the fridge. Don't add whole flaxseed because it's hard to crack and may pass through the body intact.
 
Healthy Breakfast Shake - serves 2
 
2 cups low fat milk (note: can use almond or soya milk instead, if desired)
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I like the brand Proteins +, which you can find at Zehrs in the natural food section, with the protein bars)
1 medium (peeled) banana,
frozen 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Add all ingredients into a blender and blend for about 10 seconds.


Pour into 2 glasses and serve.

No comments:

catering, gourmet food shop, gift baskets