Wednesday, June 2, 2010

more world-famous salmon & scrumptious salad - recipe: sesame-crusted salmon on greens

I was at a community garage sale this past weekend, and while scouting out backyard play items for little John I got to talking to one of the homeowners. When she found out who I was she requested a copy of a salad recipe that she recently lost.

Which brings me to my point — I’m continually amazed at the number of people who tell me how much they love one of two recipes: Tina Robert’s award-winning blueberry drizzle salad and Julie Garner’s famous brown sugar salmon.

It’s not that both recipes don’t deserve so much praise, it’s just that I’m pleasantly surprised by how often people tell me they prepare them. One customer informed me that the brown sugar salmon recipe is the only thing that she will ever make for company. It’s easy, delicious and never fails to please.

I can’t count the number of people who’ve told me that they make the blueberry drizzle salad over and over and over again. By the way, both recipes are available on my website.

I have two items of good news! The first is that I’ll soon be sharing another famous salad recipe from Tina Roberts — stay tuned for her summertime pasta salad with fresh tomatoes, brie and basil.

The second is that I’m about to share another incredible salmon recipe, courtesy of Bonnie Stern. I love this salmon salad. I have a feeling that you will too. It’s perfect for this time of the year when asparagus is in season.

sesame-crusted salmon on greens
(from Bonnie Stern’s Simply HeartSmart)

makes 6 servings

ingredients for salmon

  • 6 four-ounce fillets fresh salmon,
  • skin removed
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon honey-style mustard
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds

ingredients for orange-ginger dressing

  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce

ingredients for salad

  • 12 cups mixed greens
  • 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cooked and cut into two-inch
  • pieces 1 sweet red bell pepper, cut in strips
  • 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green onions

method

  • Pat salmon dry. In small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce and mustard. Rub over salmon. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  • Brush non-stick ovenproof skillet lightly with oil and heat skillet over high heat. Add salmon and cook for 1 minute per side. Transfer to preheated 425 degree oven. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until just cooked.
  • To make orange-ginger dressing, whisk together garlic, ginger, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, honey and hot pepper sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
  • Toss dressing with greens, asparagus, red pepper, orange, cilantro and chives. Serve salad topped with salmon.

No comments:

catering, gourmet food shop, gift baskets