Wednesday, September 23, 2009

pumpkin muffins capture the flavour of the season - recipe: pumpkin raisin muffins

There are so many things that I love about our new home and neighbourhood. 1. We’re on the same block as my brother and sister-in-law!!! 2. Our new home has an upper floor “media room” which we’re using as a big playroom for John. 3. We are steps away from a school. 4. I now have a gas stove!!! 5. There are lots of kids in our new neighbourhood. Did I mention that I now have a gas stove?

It’s so nice to be surrounded by young families and children. I’ve met many friendly Moms (and Dad’s) while out walking with John. I was recently invited to our first “play date” in the area. Of course, I wanted to bring something with me but I wasn’t quite sure what would be appropriate. I decided on pumpkin raisin muffins – I picked up a sugar pumpkin a few days before at the market and was ready to bake on Saturday morning just before the play date. Long story shortt, John slept-in past 7:30 a.m. (a miracle!) and there was NO way I was waking him up with a racket in the kitchen. Thank goodness for canned pumpkin! Turns out the hostess of the play-date also baked muffins – Kelly’s blueberry coffee cake muffins were fantastic! It was great to start out the friendship with a common bond – food!

This pumpkin muffin recipe is courtesy of guess who, my Mom. However, I took her original higher-fat recipe and reduced the oil from one-and-a-half cups down to half a cup with the addition of a few more eggs. I also reduced the amount of sugar so they aren’t as sweet.

pumpkin raisin muffins

yields: about 20 small muffins

ingredients

  • three cups all purpose flour
  • two teaspoons baking powder
  • two teaspoons baking soda
  • two teaspoons cinnamon
  • one-and-one-third cups sugar
  • one cup raisins
  • one-half cup vegetable oil
  • five eggs
  • two-and-one-half cups pumpkin

method

  • Preheat oven to 350º F
  • Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add in raisins and stir.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin and oil until combined.
  • Using a wooden spoon, mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Do not over-mix as that will result in dry muffins.
  • Spoon mix into paper muffin liners that have been coated with non stick spray.
  • Bake in 350º F oven for about 30 minutes.

    Note: a handful or two of sweetened shredded coconut and a half-cup of chopped dates make for a tasty twist.

No comments:

catering, gourmet food shop, gift baskets